Olivet Nazarene University Honors Journal highlights scholarly research in sciences, music, athletics, psychology, astronomy, engineering and more
Bourbonnais, IL (09/20/2018) — Olivet Nazarene University announces the debut of Elaia: The Honors Journal of Olivet Nazarene University, a scholarly publication designed to highlight student research. The inaugural issue, just released, contains the projects from the 2018 Honors Program students in the senior cohort and their mentors. Now available in print and eventually online, the 150-page journal features work from the disciplines of the sciences, music, athletics, psychology, astronomy, engineering and more.
• "The Effects of Heart Medication on the Heart Rates of Drosophila Melanogaster" - Felicia A. Baer (Dr. Dwight Ginn, faculty mentor)
• "Vocal Processing with Spectral Analysis" - Bradley J. Fitzgerald (Professor Joseph Makarewicz, faculty mentor)
• "The Effects of Inulin and Galactooligosaccharides on the Production of Reuterin by Lactobacillus Reuteri" - Micah Dwight Forshee (Dr. Daniel Sharda, faculty mentor)
• "The Relationship Between Musicianship, Academic Motivation, Academic Achievement, and Self-Esteem" - Elizabeth J. Krumsieg (Dr. Kristian Veit, faculty mentor)
• "Noncontact Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries in Collegiate Female Soccer Players: The Effects of a Four-Week Prevention Program on Landing Kinematics" - Tess K. Marcordes (Dr. Scott Armstrong, faculty mentor)
• "Weed and Crop Discrimination Through an Offline Computer Vision Algorithm" - Phillip J. Putney (Professor Joseph Makarewicz, faculty mentor)
• "Empirical Correlates of Mental Health Stigma" - Emily Raduns (Dr. Kristian Veit, faculty mentor)
• "Design and Evaluation of a 3D Printed Filar Micrometer" - Emily M. Rull (Dr. Stephen Case, faculty mentor)
• "Stigma as a Predictor of Parental Willingness to Seek Mental Health Services for Their Children in Rural America" - Reed M. Smith (Dr. Lisa Gassin, faculty mentor)
From the moment Olivet Honors Program students set foot on campus, they join a community of scholars. Together, in Christian fellowship, they study, learn and grow. In their junior and senior years, students work on a capstone scholarship project with faculty mentors. The results of these projects are often life-changing.
The professional-level research and presentations they did as undergraduates in Olivet's Honors Program became an important career step for 2018 graduates Micah Forshee, Tess Marcordes, Brad Fitzgerald and Reed Smith. Each of their projects is featured in the first issue of Elaia. They also presented their work during Scholar Week 2018 at Olivet.
Today, Forshee is pursuing a Ph.D. in medical research at Baylor College of Medicine. Marcordes is in the Doctor of Physical Therapy degree program at Bradley University. Fitzgerald is working toward a Ph.D. in electrical engineering at Purdue University. Smith is in medical school at the University of Wisconsin.
"Olivet's Honors Program has molded me intellectually, spiritually and personally - more than I know," Forshee said. "I'm a stronger Christian, a more astute scholar and a more well-rounded person. I owe my current career path to this challenging experience."
Olivet Nazarene University is an accredited Christian, liberal arts university offering more than 140 areas of undergraduate and graduate study, including the Doctor of Education in ethical leadership. Olivet's 275-acre park-like main campus is in Bourbonnais, Illinois, 50 miles south of Chicago. Additional sites are in Rolling Meadows and Oak Brook, Illinois; Indianapolis, Indiana; Grand Rapids and Grand Ledge, Michigan; Hong Kong; and more than 100 School of Graduate and Continuing Studies learning locations throughout Chicagoland and the Midwest. From Oxford to Tokyo, hundreds of Olivet students also experience the global classroom each year through study abroad opportunities, internships and worldwide mission trips.
More ONU news is available at Olivet.edu, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram. Licensed University photos and official logos available upon request.
Contact: Laura Warfel Public Relations Specialist Olivet Nazarene University Bourbonnais, IL 60914 www.olivet.edu 815-928-5403 email@example.com